loader image

Rate Hikes Shouldn’t Stop These 2 Stocks From Climbing Higher

by | Sep 14, 2022 | Market Updates

The market is little-changed following its worst day since June 2020 — and more in Wednesday’s stock market recap.

Tuesday’s hotter-than-expected inflation report caused the major indexes to tank. The Dow lost 1,200 points, while the Nasdaq and S&P 500 fell 5.2% and 4.3%, respectively.

On Wednesday, we have the Producer Price Index report. The PPI met year-over-year expectations at 8.7%, but disappointed excluding food and energy, coming in at 8.1% versus the 7% expected.

With inflation not appearing to slow down, investors and the market await what the Federal Reserve will do with interest rates at the next Federal Open Market Committee meeting on Sept. 20-21.

The CME FedWatch Tool gives a 0.75% hike a 70% chance, and a 30% chance for a 1.0% hike.

In this morning’s stock market recap video, I’ll discuss the CPI and what it means for the market… the PPI and how it will impact the Fed next week… how current momentum levels are impacting stocks… why put buyers are outnumbering call buyers and what it means for you… whether bonds are set to trade lower or higher following this week’s data… plus the top 2 stocks to own right now in light of the current downside pressure in the market… and the top 2 stocks to sell before price declines even further.

Don’t forget to like and subscribe to our YouTube channel if you haven’t already so you can be notified as soon as we post our next video and see what other trade opportunities we’re paying close attention to!

P.S. Are You Prepared for Sept. 20? 

There’s a straightforward way I analyze the market that often leads me to the biggest moves in the investment world before they happen.

And there’s no funny business required with the strategy I’m going to share in a special live event at 1 p.m. EDT TODAY, Wednesday, Sept. 14 — at no cost!

It’s based on an age-old secret that Vanguard’s John Bogle calls “the most important rule for investors to learn.”

And without understanding this basic principle, trading will only get more challenging.

All you need to do is cut out all the noise in the market, forget about all 4,000 stocks and focus on 11 sectors…

The time to prepare your portfolio is now.

Watch the Event Here

P.P.S. When it comes to trading, every second counts. And in choppy markets like these, often driven by headlines, stocks can make big moves in a flash.

That’s why I want you to get my latest trading ideas and market updates as fast as possible. So I’m rolling out an all-new option for my students to receive trade alerts with Telegram!

Telegram allows me to get trade ideas, videos and watchlists to you in a matter of seconds.

Check out this short article we put together with instructions on how to download telegram and access my private channel. Go here to get the details. 

Stock Market Recap: By the Numbers

This morning’s stock market futures recap:

DOW (mini)

  • Close: 31,104.97.
  • Futures: 31,268.
  • Change: +56.

S&P 500 (mini)

  • Close: 3,932.69.
  • Futures: 3,961.
  • Change: +12.25.

NASDAQ (mini)

  • Close: 12,033.62.
  • Futures: 12,168.
  • Change: +48.

RUSSELL (mini)

  • Close: 1,831.57.
  • Futures: 1,841.1.
  • Change: +2.9.

Note: Updated as of 9:22 a.m. EDT

Building on the sector analysis from Tuesday, I’ll take things a step further every Wednesday with two FREE trade alerts! I’ll identify my favorite stock in the strongest sector, and even a short opportunity from the weakest sector. That’s two trades… absolutely free… each week!

Need help understanding some basics that we discuss frequently? Check out some of our educational pieces to help get yourself up to speed! Have a question or a topic you’d like us to explain in a future article? Send your thoughts to support@marketgeeks.com!

Check back each morning for the Roger Scott newsletter and the most important news and numbers in the WealthPress stock market recap.

WRITTEN BY<br>Roger Scott

Roger Scott

What to read next

99 Problems and a “Pivot” is One

99 Problems and a “Pivot” is One

A friend of mine sent me this chart about three months ago. I should probably print it and keep it in my wallet next to a photo of my daughter. Given the sheer number of questions I’ve fielded lately, I’ll probably end up showing this chart more than her picture.

read more
Everything Everywhere, Going Down, All At Once

Everything Everywhere, Going Down, All At Once

When our momentum reading went negative last week, I didn’t know that we’d have the second largest bank failure in U.S. history three days later. All I knew was that it went negative… and that we got out of the way.

read more
Trust But Verify…

Trust But Verify…

I want to talk about our version of “Trust but Verify” in the markets. Qualification is the most important part of the investing process. And this F score value strategy looks to be crushing the current market.

read more

Have any questions? Contact Our Customer Service Team